Sorry, I was too busy trying to not check Facebook (#BrazenStuff 2.22.13)
Happy Friday, Brazenites!
We bet now that you’ve read that headline, you really kind of want to check Facebook, don’t you? No? Don’t worry; our first story covers all sorts of workplace distractions.
Following that is our customary mix of delectable reads, sage advice and the occasional moment of “Really?!” A little something for everyone…
1. One study argues that it’s better to let your employees spend time on Facebook—the energy it takes to resist the temptation only distracts them from their tasks!
2. Are you the office “yes” person? Learn how to be more assertive in five easy steps.
3. Poised to make a career change? Here’s how to announce your new job strategically to boost your personal brand.
4. It’s not where you are, but what you do when you’re there—advice for how to succeed whether you’re a big fish in a small pond or a small fish in a big pond.
5. Who says there’s no room for emotions in the workplace? A recent study revealed that people with higher emotional intelligence make better workers.
6. Just the thought of this kind of experiment makes us feel nervous—which might be why it’s so relevant. What one company learned from a weeklong ban on email.
7. It’s not likely (thank goodness), but you can be fired for being too attractive. Don’t believe us? Check out these seven absurd ways you can legally be fired for your appearance.
Have you read anything this week that’s worth passing on? Share it with us in the comments!
Brazen Life is a lifestyle and career blog for ambitious young professionals. Hosted by Brazen Careerist, we offer edgy and fun ideas for navigating the changing world of work. Be Brazen!